Living in student halls this year my flat is home to some “typical” gross, unclean students. Not all of them, but it still leaves the kitchen disgusting enough that thought of staying in there longer than the time it takes to heat up a ready meal is pretty off-putting. Add to this that I am not good at cooking and you’ve not quite got a recipe for culinary joy! So this is my thank you to all the easy to make food that may not be good for me but it helps me keep my kitchen time to a minimum.
My top ten quick foods
10. Pesto pasta salad – available at any supermarket that knows what it’s doing and already made. Just add a fork. Or a spoon, whatever you’re into
9. Sandwich – a classic. Probably one I’d eat a lot more of if people would stop eating my bread
8. Filled pasta – literally takes less than 5 minutes to cook, how could this be anything but good?
7. Burrito/enchilada – my local shop (and by local I mean right on my doorstep, uh so convenient!) does burritos and enchiladas that you can cook in ~20 minutes and they are not terrible
6. Spaghetti on toast – this was originally my hangover staple, my mum put me onto it when I was feeling particularly rough one day, and now it’s managed to worm it’s way into my regular diet, and I am not complaining
5. Mac and cheese – the ready meal versions, unfortunately. I prefer one that’s properly made but this is just too easy.
4. Anything + chips (and peas if I’m feeling good) – chips: easy, peas: easy and healthy, plus it usually goes with chicken so that’s another good point. God bless chicken
3. Chicken slice – zero effort required here: go outside, go into shop (hot food section), pick up my already heated chicken slice, pay, enjoy the deliciousness
2. Pasta – oh pasta where would I be without you? So simple, so quick, and I can add what I like
1. Pizza – of course pizza was going to be number one, literally just stick it in the oven and we’re good to go, and so. many. variations. I love you, pizza.
Aware that I sound very unhealthy here but you should all know that I snack on fruit too so I’ve got that going for me. And I’m moving home for the summer in 3 weeks so I’ll be back on top in the food department!